Harry Marshall Ward
Ward in 1895 (41 years old)
Harry Marshall Ward (21 March 1854 – 26 August 1906) was a botanist, mycologist, and plant pathologist.
He was born in Hereford, England, the eldest child of Francis and Mary Marshall Ward, educated at Lincoln Cathedral school. c. 1864 and at the South Kensington Science and Art Department under Thomas Henry Huxley in 1874. Owens College, Manchester, in 1875, and Christ's College, Cambridge, from 1876 to 1879.
At Cambridge, Ward got a B. A. with First Class hon's in the Natural Sciences Tripos. Ward's education at Cambridge was funded by fellow student from South Kensington, Louis Lucas. He also studied with leading German botanists Julius von Sachs and Anton de Bary who at the time were way ahead of the English in the field of experimental botany.
From early 1880 until 1882, Ward was employed by the British government in Ceylon to study coffee rust disease. His detailed and methodical work established his reputation as a plant pathologist and physiologist.
In 1883 Ward returned to Owens College as an assistant lecturer, and married Selina Mary Kingdon.
In 1885 shortly after the birth of his son he was appointed Professor of botany at the Royal Indian engineering college (Forestry department) at Cooper's hill, now part of Brunel University. He moved with his new family into a house at Englefield Green.
He became Fellow of the Linnaean Society in 1886, Fellow of the Royal Horticultural Society in 1887. Ginger Beer Plant was brought to his attention. Fellow of the Royal Society in 1889. He was president of the British Mycological Society in 1900 and 1901.
In 1895 he became Professor of Botany at Cambridge University.
Meanwhile he was gaining more honours and positions on committees while still researching, teaching, and administrating. All this work took its toll on his health. He was weakened further by diabetes. He died on 26 August 1906 aged only 52.
He is buried in the Parish of the Ascension Burial Ground in Cambridge.